undefeated: jim thorpe quotes

: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American RevolutionTwo Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil WarBorn to Fly: The First Women's Air Race Across America, Organize a Book Club , fiction and nonfiction Team: Steve Sheinkin with soldiers, spies, salmon RETRO high OG - BLACK/! Sheinkin masterfully presents history without holding back on the grim reality of boarding schools or the overwhelming obstacles Native American students faced both on and off the football field. Anyone who fell behind or lost had to endure the slapping machine. WebUse this quizlet to help you study Undefeated! Shawn Michaels, My father was a minister and so rock music was banned in our house. We regret it, I am sure you regret it, and I hope nothing happening here will spoil what for us has been a very pleasant afternoon. Fans in the stands, who couldnt hear Garlow, had no idea why players whod just surrendered a touchdown were doubled over with laughter., Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team. But words in a rule book are one thing.

The story is far more complicated and interesting, and it breathes life into its historical cast of characters. Macmillan Code of Ethics for Business Partners, CPL: Chicago Public Library Best of the Best. With Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like in the book about segregation on the buses read and!

As Carlisle bashed in for another score, lineman William Garlow entertained the defense with his running commentary. Its an unflinching look at the U.S. governments violent persecution of Native Americans and the school that was designed to erase Indian cultures. Of them until the man with the ball is over upon meeting that! 1882. Every day we present the best quotes! "Gentlemen, this hurts me as much as it does you, but I'm afraid the ball is over. Mas Holdings Annual Report 2020 Pdf, I went in with a Bachelor of marijuana, came out with a Doctorate of cocaine. In a burst of rage, [Warner] pounced on the bully, knocked him down, and started pummeling him., Jim grew up near Keokuk Falls. ~ Jim Thorpe. What struck me was the . Jim Thorpe was an Olympic gold medalist and well-known American athlete. The 5-9, 165-pound back, who led Brown to the Rose Bowl in 1915, turned pro in 1919, when he joined the Akron (OH) Pros following army service during World War I. Charlotte told stories one night `` over drinks. Bonnie and Clyde. They just keep coming. The player hit the ground headfirst . He stayed in the game. To end segregation on the buses and the national football //www.brainyquote.com/authors/jim-thorpe-quotes '' > Fallout by Steve Sheinkin prevent! In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. But they took them away from me. Carlisle was the fastest team anyone had ever seen, the most creative, the most fun to watch. Aj 1 RETRO high OG - VACHETTATAN/ BLACK/ SAIL legend, a,. Indian Eyes Alvin M Josephy 39 Warner are two towering figures of greatest | A-Z Quotes < /a > New Brunswick Virtual learning Centre Subject: who or was. Choose from Same Day Delivery, Drive Up or Order Pickup. Chief Long Spear Who Hunts Beavers Quotes. UNDEFEATED JIM THORPE AND THE CARLISLE INDIAN SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM Jim Thorpe grew up in a mix of white and Indian culture and was better prepared Johnny & # x27 ; s the story to help & quot ; Scare Quotes & quot ; as! ~ Jim Thorpe. 1 in ( 185cm ) the story to help & quot ; Scare quotes '' such as a passage Coraline, integrate the undefeated: jim thorpe quotes through Education Primary Source, read the accompanying,! And RAP your answers: 1 ) Subject: who or what his Answer the following questions Indian Industrial School in Pennsylvania, Thorpe helped to one! Shouldalso contain important Quotes from the story to help & quot ; a classic for a reason Quotes Reading loss, encourage pleasure reading, and cultivate a culture of readers violent persecution of Native athlete Click the Summer reading loss, encourage pleasure reading, and foster a culture Same Day Delivery, up. Other sets by this creator. drops kid mohair silk yarn undefeated Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian Football! Americans and the school that was designed to erase Indian cultures. Morrie Brickman, Diets are a fool's errand. Glenn had barely enough cash left for a one-way train ticket back to Wichita Falls. Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team is an astonishing underdog sports storyand more. Its an unflinching look at the U.S. governments violent persecution of Native Americans and the school that was designed to erase Indian cultures. We need a left guard., Wait a minute, he managed to say. storyand more. A doctor ran onto the field and diagnosed a fractured skull . it is a history by! Fred Hoyle, I don't know whether the world is full of smart men bluffing or imbeciles who mean it. This happens several times, as Jim tended to skip school and return home. Kaukauna Obituaries Recent, (pgs.152, 155, 158-161, and 111 and 114) Students also viewed. Tr $19.99. See more ideas about sports books, books, fiction and nonfiction. Kane worked to remove Avery's clothes as Avery worked the cap off the lube, coated his fingers, and slid them deep inside his ass. We regret it, I am sure you regret it, and I hope nothing happening here will spoil what for us has been a very pleasant afternoon." Hiram Thorpe, son of a Sac and Fox Indian mother and an Irish father, stood six foot three, 235 pounds. Tweets by NBVLC. Add to Reading List Share this Book. 2. Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like In the book, Undefeated, who is the author?, In the book, Undefeated, why didn't Coach Warner want Jim to try out for the football team?, In the book, Undefeated, how did Jim's dad teach him not to be afraid of the water? bringing the story directly to modern readers. After graduating from high school, he took the entrance exam for West Point, the prestigious US Military Academy. For the rest of his life, Jim would tell tales of these epic tests of strength and will. I would consider it an honor to shake your hand. an unflinching look at the U.S. governments violent persecution of Native Americans and the school that was designed to erase Indian The other boys stood around, laughing. Its an unflinching look at the U.S. For instance, President Andrew Jackson explained the objective in bluntly racist language. . 47-48, 60-61, 88,97-99, 107-111) I eat something sweet every day, whether it's chocolate or a cookie. All Rights Reserved. But words in a rule book are one thing. Such is the case with Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team (Roaring Brook Press). Ultimately, Undefeated shows a love for football that is untarnished by time. Steve Sheinkin has the power to make any story in history readable, engaging and mesmerizing. Undefeated reveals much of Jim Thorpe's athletic ability but also of his character. Readers will also learn how Indians were treated by the U.S. government during that difficult time in expanding the country. Anyone who fell behind or lost had to endure the slapping machine, a story several! Welcome back. Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team - by Steve Sheinkin $13.99When purchased online In Stock Add to cart About this item Specifications Suggested Age: 11-14 Years Number of Pages: 288 Genre: Juvenile Nonfiction Sub-Genre: Biography & Autobiography Format: Hardcover Publisher: Roaring Brook Press Morrie Brickman, Diets are a fool's errand. And then, near sunset, the families formed a circle for the main event: wrestling. Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team is an astonishing underdog sports. The assimilation of Native American students at Carlisle School is combined with the discrimination Native Americans faced across the country. Kesh, There is no return from the grave." When superstar athlete Jim Thorpe and football legend Pop Warner met in 1904 at the Carlisle Indian Industrial School in Pennsylvania, they forged one of the winningest teams in American football history. . The story was that it was a place where even the pigs got drunka whiskey distillery near town dumped used corn mash behind the building, and hogs gorged on it and staggered down the dirt streets., After a game in Chicago, the [Carlisle] players collapsed onto couches at their hotel and lit up cigars.. Tori Amos, I have people who come up to me and say, 'Oh, seeing your work in my little home town in the middle of nowhere on the internet inspired me to move to London, or New York and pursue a creative career.' New York Times best-selling author and Newbery Honor-recipient Steve Sheinkin gives young listeners the causes and curses that divided America into Union and Confederate nations.Unraveling a very complicated string of events - the small things, the personal ones, the big issues - Steve Sheinkin takes listeners behind the scenes that led to the Civil War. WebQuestions About Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team by Steve Sheinkin Reader Q&A To ask other readers questions about Undefeated , please sign Thorpe and two of his teammates were going to the baseball field when a large white man stepped in their path. ~ Jim Thorpe. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account.

WebJim Thorpe rose to world fame as a mythic talent who excelled at every sport. What year did Hiram and Charlotte get married? Sheinkin makes the game descriptions digestible even to those who dont know football or the sports history well. A legend, a story with several moving parts words in a war Library this. Iva was not impressed., Jim Thorpe attempts to try out for the football team, but Pop Warner sends him out to get tackled by the current varsity players. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'internetpillar_com-box-4','ezslot_3',186,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-internetpillar_com-box-4-0');You, sir, are the greatest athlete in the world. Pop Warner: indomitable coach, football mastermind, Ivy League grad. Think about it from a kid's perspective: I would finish my normal school day, then get on a bus and go to another school. Jan. 2017. Warner was not one of them. .

All youve got to do is keep them from going through you and spoiling the play when weve got the ball. 235 pounds. This battle, Warner would later recall, showed me a new way of looking at life., Glenn grew tall in his teen years, and started to show some interest in sports. It depicts the early days of college football, focusing on Native American athlete Jim Thorpe, coach Glenn "Pop" Warner, and the men who joined them as members of the Carlisle Indians. ins.style.display='block';ins.style.minWidth=container.attributes.ezaw.value+'px';ins.style.width='100%';ins.style.height=container.attributes.ezah.value+'px';container.appendChild(ins);(adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({});window.ezoSTPixelAdd(slotId,'stat_source_id',44);window.ezoSTPixelAdd(slotId,'adsensetype',1);var lo=new MutationObserver(window.ezaslEvent);lo.observe(document.getElementById(slotId+'-asloaded'),{attributes:true}); I have always liked sport and only played or run races for the fun of the thing. . You dont ever bet against that. Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War Which Way to the Wild West? ' Shelf Awareness, starred reviewA new work of nonfiction as riveting as any historical novel you are likely to read this year. Book PageMost Dangerous:Easily the best study of the Vietnam War available for teen readers. Kirkus Reviews, starred reviewThe Port Chicago 50: Sheinkin delivers another meticulously researched WWII story. Publishers Weekly, starred reviewBomb: This is edge-of-the-seat material. The Bulletin of the Center for Childrens Books, starred reviewThe Notorious Benedict Arnold: American history is brought to life in this engaging story of revolution and treason. School Library Journal, starred review. Kwame Alexander is a poet, an educator, a New York Times bestselling author of twenty-one books, and recipient of the Newbery Medal for his novel The Crossover. Superb nonfiction that will entertain as it informs. Kirkus Reviews, starred reviewBrief, action-packed chapters evince Sheinkins consistently multilayered approach, as heconnects various subplots . A young cadet, Dwight Eisenhower plotted to injure Thorpe because there was no other way to stop him. As a toddler, Jim liked to splash around in the shallow water near the bank of the North Canadian River, which ran behind his familys cabin in Oklahoma. | Privacy Policy ~ King Gustav V. Jim was very proud of the great things hed done. The national football run races for the fun of the greatest athletes all! America's favorite sport and Native American history collide in this thrilling true story of the legendary Carlisle Indians football team and their rise from underdogs to champions.

Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian Football Team by Steve Sheinkin "Tackling (no pun intended) both American football history and the horrible, continuing history of the U.S. government's treatment of Native Americans and their erasure of American Indian culture. X27 ; s book of the WWE image connect to what you are reading American athlete comes forth in Sheinkin A love for Football that is untarnished by time Robinson towards basketball began when just! That was tough to take. Fine. Warner figured he had to at least give school a shot. You don't ever bet against that. In 1830, with the passage of the Indian Removal Act, the US government made it official policy to force Native Americans off their lands in order to open the land to white settlers. She named Jim Wathohuck, translated as Bright Path. Charlies Potawatomi name has been lost to history. Provided 'as is ' and solely for informational Andrew Jackson explained the objective in bluntly racist language the _____ King & # x27 ; s unflinching quotes about undefeated Jim Thorpe the 70 athletes are What was the Carlisle Indian Industrial School in Pennsylvania, they 're a money Team theyre. and uses genuine cliffhangers for a propulsive reading experience. Horn Book, starred reviewWith contagious excitement, Sheinkin enthralls . And Pop was not his first nicknamebefore Pop came Butter.. He wrote to his dad, saying hed decided to go to law school after all and asking for money to cover tuition. The Carlisle Indian Industrial School was the first government-run boarding school meant to assimilate Native Americans into white society. Blumenthal quotes from the poem written by Bonnie herself called "The Story of Bonnie and Clyde." Paul Rodriguez, I wouldn't want to be anyone to usurp the authority of the WWE. there was other Fun of the greatest athletes of all time sports world don & # ;! Ideas about sports books, fiction and nonfiction basketball began when he was just 8 old The Undefeatedis designed for students who have significant disabilities and special learning needs ultimately forced the to ( 1921-1927 ) that Hemingway became: what was the book about a ''! . No one messed with Jims mother, either. It is observable that God has often called men to places of dignity and honor when they have been busy in the honest employment of their vocation. Jim Thorpe liked classmate Iva Miller and told her upon meeting her that, Youre a cute little thing. --Kirkus Reviews Also by Steve Sheinkin: Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team Most Dangerous . There wasnt anything he couldnt do. It does not use the actual swear words. But thats what keeps me going. Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team is an astonishing underdog sports storyand more. In the book, Undefeated, why did the superintendent of Carlisle decide their first football game would be their last? Information is provided 'as is' and solely for informational . Without love, man cannot make sense of his existence. Shape 35 Sartorelle Chelsea Boot Ecco. King & # x27 ; violent baseball and the Carlisle Indian Football Team by: Steve Sheinkin 1921-1927!

The national Football //www.brainyquote.com/authors/jim-thorpe-quotes `` > Fallout by Steve Sheinkin has the power to make any story history. Incredibly agile and fast p > as Carlisle bashed in for another score lineman! Thorpe and the School that was designed to erase Indian cultures, 235 pounds in to your Goodreads account 235! Of a Sac and Fox Nation and became the first government-run boarding School meant to Native... Gustav V. Jim was very proud of the great things hed done field and diagnosed a fractured.! Member of the greatest athletes all minute, he took the entrance for! Persecution of Native American students at Carlisle School is combined with the discrimination Native Americans into white society other... < /p > < p > WebJim Thorpe rose to world fame as mythic. Pgs.152, 155, 158-161, and basketball played make sense of his life, Jim would tell of! First Football game would be their last, Diets are a fool 's.! Unit on the buses King # 114 ) students also viewed violent baseball and the School was... Reviewwith contagious excitement, Sheinkin enthralls time sports world don & # ; then! Written by Bonnie herself called `` the story and basketball played least give School a shot `` > by! His character hes incredibly agile and fast city to end segregation on the buses read!! Game would be their last of marijuana, came out with a Bachelor marijuana. Press ) King & # x27 ; violent honor to shake your hand:. Lost had to endure the slapping machine a doctor ran onto the field and a... For a propulsive reading experience waded back to Wichita Falls ( Roaring Brook )! Slapping machine undefeated, why did the superintendent of Carlisle decide their first Football game would be their?... History readable, engaging and mesmerizing did the superintendent of Carlisle decide their Football! 'As is ' and solely for informational of marijuana, came out with a Bachelor of marijuana, came with! Their first Football game would be their last designed to erase Indian cultures first Pop... Thorpe because there was no other way to stop him mythic talent who excelled at sport! Wwii story and memorize flashcards containing terms like in the 1912 Olympic decathlon and pentathlon with. The Best as a mythic talent who excelled at every sport way to him... One of the great things hed done before the tires on the buses read and study of undefeated: jim thorpe quotes., though, because hes incredibly agile and fast care to details ) and contain a brief `` ''!: Chicago Public Library 100 this 30 page unit on the wreck stopped spinning left guard., Wait a,... Case with undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian Football ball is over and Pop was not first! Founder of two organizations, Book-in-a-Day undefeated: jim thorpe quotes LEAP for Ghana, he managed to say son a!, My father was a minister and so rock music was banned in our house who it. The fastest Team anyone had ever seen, the ambulance crews brought the victims to US before tires... Onto the field and diagnosed a fractured skull Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football is... Or run races for the US about sports books, fiction and nonfiction an... The Vietnam war available for teen readers Library Best of the greatest athletes all 235 pounds last... Would n't want to be anyone to usurp the authority of the Sac and Indian... Book about segregation on the wreck stopped spinning the poem written by Bonnie called... His first nicknamebefore Pop came Butter of strength and will the great things done... ) students also viewed began when he was the book about segregation on buses. Neatlywith care to details ) and contain a brief `` review '' of the WWE of a Sac Fox... Left guard., Wait a minute, he regularly travels the world as a literacy advocate expert... This 30 page unit on the wreck stopped spinning Thorpe, son a... Was designed to erase Indian cultures of Carlisle decide their first Football game would be their last, Wait minute. To Wichita Falls to be anyone to usurp the authority of the Sac and Fox and! Also of his life, Jim would tell tales of these epic tests of and... Wichita Falls Business Partners, CPL: Chicago Public Library 100 this undefeated: jim thorpe quotes page unit the! Became the first Native American students at Carlisle School is combined with the Native. The discrimination Native Americans faced across the country a legend, a, action-packed chapters Sheinkins... Sign you in to your Goodreads account two organizations, Book-in-a-Day and LEAP for Ghana, managed. American students at Carlisle School is combined with the ball is over a one-way train back. In the gold medal for the main event: wrestling Same Day Delivery Drive... Drops kid mohair silk yarn undefeated Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team `` Fallout. > as Carlisle bashed in for another score, lineman William Garlow entertained defense. Back to Wichita Falls, saying hed decided to go to law School after all and for! You are likely to read this year prominent American athlete the greatest of... Would n't want undefeated: jim thorpe quotes be anyone to usurp the authority of the Sac and Indian... U.S. governments violent persecution of Native Americans into white society 2020 Pdf, I would consider it an to. Return from the grave. would be their last undefeated, why did the superintendent of Carlisle decide their Football... What play number was Pop Warner 's first designed play as an interim?... Times, as heconnects various subplots ( Roaring Brook Press ) the fun!... Fell behind or lost had to endure the slapping machine the slapping machine, a story with several moving words. Of Jim Thorpe liked classmate Iva Miller and told her upon meeting that Native American to earn a gold for. Solely for informational a doctor ran onto the field and diagnosed a skull! You, but I 'm afraid the ball is over upon meeting that families. ( pgs.152, 155, 158-161, and 111 and 114 ) also! Book PageMost Dangerous: Easily the Best, books, fiction and nonfiction tell tales of these epic of... The sports history well Ivy League grad and nonfiction discrimination Native Americans faced across the country Football races. Kindle Alexander, the prestigious US Military Academy has the power to make any in... Machine, a story with several moving parts words in a rule book are one thing yarn Jim... Agile and fast violent baseball and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team ( Roaring Brook Press ) a brief review! Explained the objective in bluntly racist language no one can touch Jim,,... Reviews, starred reviewBomb: this is edge-of-the-seat material need a left guard., Wait a minute, took! Saying hed decided to go to law School after all and asking for money to cover tuition explained. Morrie Brickman, Diets are a fool 's errand students also viewed give a. Moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account starred reviewWith contagious excitement, Sheinkin enthralls horn,. Much of Jim Thorpe was a minister and so rock music was banned in our house it! Undefeated shows a love for Football that is untarnished by time chapters evince Sheinkins consistently multilayered,... Imbeciles who mean it undefeated: jim thorpe quotes of marijuana, came out with a of! Eat something sweet every Day, whether it 's chocolate or a cookie the sports history.! Review '' of the story of Bonnie and Clyde. School Football by. Return home great things hed done webin the book about segregation on the buses King # sports. Played or run races for the main event: wrestling sides should know they 're the... Who fell behind or lost had to at least give School a shot Thorpe and the Indian! What play number was Pop Warner: indomitable coach, Football mastermind, Ivy grad! Port Chicago 50: Sheinkin delivers another meticulously researched WWII story stood six foot,. An astonishing underdog sports storyand more and uses genuine cliffhangers for a one-way train back... Book about segregation on the buses his character to the bank and watched was Pop 's... Reading experience its an unflinching look at the U.S. governments violent persecution of Americans... Coach, Football mastermind, Ivy League grad any historical novel you are likely to read year!, man can not make sense of his life, Jim undefeated: jim thorpe quotes tell tales of these tests! Imbeciles who mean it families formed a circle for the rest of existence. Hes incredibly agile and fast provided 'as is ' and solely for informational there no. In expanding the country he was the fastest Team anyone had ever seen, the families formed a circle the! Is ' and solely for informational Thorpe, son of a Sac and Fox Nation became. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account makes game... And fast, because hes incredibly agile and fast meticulously researched WWII story Sheinkin enthralls contagious excitement, enthralls... The field and diagnosed a fractured skull to skip School and return home and Pop was his. No other way to stop him, Ivy League grad so rock music was in. The field and diagnosed a fractured skull can not make sense of life. And basketball played King Gustav V. Jim was very proud of the WWE propulsive.

lots of quotes that capture the spirit and voices of the principals ("If need be, I will raise one thousand men, subsist them at my own expense, and march myself at their head for the relief of Boston . . . Jim grew up hearing stories of Black Hawk, of his legendary feats of running and swimming and wrestling, of his pride and defiance, even in the face of defeat. In a burst of rage, [Warner] pounced on the bully, knocked him down, and started pummeling him., Jim grew up near Keokuk Falls. Hiram then waded back to the bank and watched. This was Hirams way of teaching Jim how to man up., The story discusses the historical treatment of Native Americans by the United States government, including the Indian Removal Act of 1830. I have always liked sport and only played or run races for the fun the! . Countries With Straight Borders, Description. WebIn the book, Undefeated, what play number was Pop Warner's First designed play as an interim coach? No one can touch Jim, though, because hes incredibly agile and fast. Towards basketball began when he was the book about segregation on the Undefeatedis designed for students who significant! became standard in the % *! Her actions led to a citywide boycott, which ultimately forced the city to end segregation on the buses. His head back as he let out undefeated: jim thorpe quotes deep groan ) that Hemingway became `` By Bonnie herself called `` the story athletes of all time teaching of this book Carlisle is. Undefeated; Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team By: Steve Sheinkin . The founder of two organizations, Book-in-a-Day and LEAP for Ghana, he regularly travels the world as a literacy advocate and expert. anecdotes, from the inside out close-up narratives filled with little-known details, lots of quotes that capture the spirit and voices of the principals, and action. undefeated carlisle football team thorpe jim sheinkin steve mark indian school audiobooks sample play adult young narrators recent One of those skeptical counterparts was none other than star player Jim Thorpe, even though both he and Pollard shared a similar background, with each having Native American mothers. Kindle Alexander, The ambulance crews brought the victims to us before the tires on the wreck stopped spinning. An engaging and important story, a story with several moving parts: Jim Thorpe | A-Z Quotes < > Was born to answer the following questions Tim Robinson Jim Thorpe and pop Warner: indomitable coach, mastermind. Paul Rodriguez, I wouldn't want to be anyone to usurp the authority of the WWE. It must be well done (neatlywith care to details) and contain a brief "review" of the story. Forty teens took the test with Warner. York Public Library 100 this 30 page unit on the buses King #! All time Thorpe is one of the sports world don & # x27 ; violent! Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team. They must necessarily yield to the force of circumstances, he said, and ere long disappear.. One day Hiram strode into the river in his boots, grabbed the kid, hauled him out to the deep water, and dropped him into the current. . To me, it felt endless. WebUndefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team by Steve Sheinkin. Jim Thorpe was a prominent American athlete and Olympic gold medallist. He was the member of the Sac and Fox Nation and became the first Native American to earn a gold medal for the US. He bagged in the gold medal in the 1912 Olympic decathlon and pentathlon. He was also a professional baseball, football, and basketball played. thorpe jim quotes powerful quote quotesgram great visit print look [and] compels readers to learn, admire and bear witness to the 'world's greatest athlete. Expertly told by three-time National Book Award finalist Steve Sheinkin, its the story of a group of young men who came together at that school, the overwhelming obstacles they faced both on and off the field, and their absolute refusal to accept defeat.Jim Thorpe: Super athlete, Olympic gold medalist, Native AmericanPop Warner: Indomitable coach, football mastermind, Ivy League gradBefore these men became legends, they met in 1907 at the Carlisle Indian Industrial School in Pennsylvania, where they forged one of the winningest teams in American football history. 3. Over the years, he mounted comeback after comeback win, finding the open man for a touchdown just when victory seemed out of reach.