jeremiah 33:14 commentary

A new day is coming because a new covenant is coming. [Note: Keil, 2:72. 6.How do we explain Jer. The Lord is his name. 33:19-22 This strophe claims that the new covenant is going to be permanent because the order and cycles of nature are permanent (cf. Copyright 2019 by Zondervan. See also Leviticus 25:12-13.]. 2.sin - BDB 306, KB 305 (twice), Qal perfects, 3.transgress - BDB 833, KB 981, Qal perfect, also translated "rebel". 6-9. . A significant, permanent change has occurred to the nation personified in this title (also note the title in 21:23 for Jerusalem). WebJeremiah 33:14-18. The Cross And Christs Suffering For Sins (1 Peter 3:18-22), 6. He would bless them with much peace and truth in the future. Ezra 8:15). 27:32; this imagery is the background of John 10:1-18). [Note: For further discussion of this view, see Craig A. Blaising, "The Kingdom of God in the New Testament," in Progressive Dispensationalism, pp. The concept of "bring back" is included in this larger agenda. The promises of God seemed to have come to an end. What are the people turning from and turning to? Verse Jeremiah 33:11. A.

The place where Jeremiah had this prophecy communicated to him, the prison, Jer 33:1; the author of it, Jehovah, who describes himself, Jer 33:2; encourages the prophet to pray unto him, promising an answer, and a discovery of great and hidden things, Jer 33:3; not so much concerning the destruction of the city, and the rebuilding it, Jer 33:4,5; as spiritual blessings to the church, signified by it; such as a healthful state and condition through Christ, the sun of righteousness, arising with healing in his wings, and a revelation of abundance of peace and truth by him, Jer 33:6; a release of captives, and a rebuilding of the church, Jer 33:7; free and full forgiveness of all sins, Jer 33:8; the church a praise in the whole earth; much joy in it, and glory to God by it, Jer 33:9-11; spiritual pastors or shepherds feeding their flocks, and taking very diligent care of them, Jer 33:12,13; a promise of the Messiah as a righteous Branch; as the Saviour and safeguard of his people; and as the Lord their righteousness, Jer 33:14-16; an assurance of the continuance of the kingly and priestly offices in him, whereby the covenant of God with David and the Levites would be for ever secured, Jer 33:17-22; and the chapter is concluded with a promise of the perseverance of the saints and people of God; which is represented as certain as the covenant with day and night, and as the ordinances of heaven and earth, in opposition to a suggestion to the contrary, Jer 33:23-26. You, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit are priority in interpretation. 106:1; 107:1; 118:1; 136:1. We are called to speak a word of hope and promise in a world often filled with fear and uncertainty, even despair. Such is the word of promise and hope in this text. The Targum explains verses Jeremiah 33:14, Jeremiah 33:15, and Jeremiah 33:16 of the Messiah. This is not January 1 nor is it the lunar new year or the beginning of the Muslim year. The word Jehovah, not Lord, should be used in all such places as this. The Targum interpretation substituted the word "Messiah" for the phrase "the one who numbers them.". I will give the original, as before: vezeh asher yikra lah, Yehovah tsidkenu, "And this one who shall call to her is the Lord our Justification;" that is, the salvation of the Jews shall take place when Jesus Christ is proclaimed to them as their Justifier, and they receive him as such. Jeremiah 33:15-16 contain a beautiful promise, but also a twofold danger for Christian pastors.

14The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will fulfill the good promise(A) I made to the people of Israel and Judah. We must ask the Lord for some things before He will give them to us (cf. The name of the city would be "Yahweh our righteousness." Verse Jeremiah 33:12. ), Isa 59:14; Jer 3:17; Eze 48:35; Zep 3:13; Zec 8:3, 16, NIV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, NIV, Chronological Study Bible, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New International Version, NIV, Beautiful Word Bible Journal, Revelation, Paperback, Comfort Print, NIV, The Woman's Study Bible, Full-Color, Red Letter: Receiving God's Truth for Balance, Hope, and Transformation, NIV, Beautiful Word Bible Journal, Galatians, Paperback, Comfort Print, NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture. . Verse Jeremiah 33:2. "restore" The MT has "restore" (BDB 996, KB 1427, Qal imperfect) but the Masoretic scholars suggested instead "bring back" (BDB 996, KB 1427, Hiphil imperfect, cf. Ezekiel 48:35). Jer 33:3. In his commentary (Tyndale OT series) on Jeremiah he gives a list of all the descriptive titles and phrases Jeremiah uses of the coming Davidic seed/Messiah (p. 144). 14 The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah. The house of David might be cut down, but God is able to bring life out of death. 22:11-17: Judgment on Shallum (King Jehoahaz). NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah released his updated rankings of the top 50 prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft. JEREMIAH 33. You must not relinquish this to a commentator. 19The word of the Lord came to Jeremiah, saying, 20"Thus says the Lord, 'If you can break My covenant for the day and My covenant for the night, so that day and night will not be at their appointed time, 21then My covenant may also be broken with David My servant so that he will not have a son to reign on his throne, and with the Levitical priests, My ministers.

14 The days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah. It is for the sake of Jerusalem, literal and spiritual, that God the Father gives this name (Jehovah, Tsidkenu, "The Lord our Righteousness") to Christ."". 6wBehold, I will bring to it health and healing, and I will heal them and reveal to them abundance of prosperity and security. Collection, "Storypath Lectionary Links: Connecting Children's Literature with our Faith Story,", FESTIVALS/SPECIAL DAYS (includes Creation). pp. NASB (UPDATED) TEXT: 33:1-9 [Note: Harrison, Jeremiah and . The worst has not yet happened, but it is inevitable. Each of their statements is answered by the prophet and a future setting/outcome is revealed. Web14 I will lavish choice portions on the priests, though I was their masteroracle of the LORD. Because of Israel's and Judah's disobedience the only aspect of YHWH' character the nations saw was judgment. WebJer 33:1. 4:2; 7:5; 45:24-25; also note 11:1-5. Web33 While Jeremiah was still locked up in the courtyard of the guards, the message from the Lord came to him a second time: 2 The Lord made the earth, and he keeps it safe.

See what has been said on Jeremiah 23:6, (Jeremiah 23:6,) which is generally supposed to be a strictly parallel passage: but they are very different, and I doubt whether they mean exactly the same thing. Ezra 1:8; Ezra 2:2; also Ezra 2:40-54; Ezra 8:15-20). 33:1 This shows that chapters 32 and 33 are linked (as are chapters 30-33, the Book of Consolation). In v. 5 YHWH will show His wrath on Jerusalem by allowing dead bodies to fill the holes made by the siege machines! This is not in and of itself bad: we are Christian preachers, after all. But Yahweh promised that He would restore the fortunes of Jacobs seed and that a descendant of David would rule over all the Israelites in the future. The Cross And Unjust Suffering (1 Peter 2:19-25), 5. ., p. 1. making sure that all of the sheep were in the pen at night. 74:16-17; 89:36-37). 50 Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA. In The Cross And Separation From The World (1 Peter 4:1-6), 7. Verse Jeremiah 33:24. 18:1-20) where the prophet uses the opponents' own words to show their sin and rebellion. 2. The preacher should also acknowledge, however, that like Jeremiah, he or she speaks these words in a time when many are experiencing great loss: loss of job, of security, of home. Her voice is synonymous with hymns, having founded, along with her husband, Keith, the Getty Music Organization, which helps people learn the Bible through hymns to carry for life. However, this is a tremendous Messianic passage which promises a future fulfillment, not only of the exiled seed of Abraham to the Promised Land, but also of the restoration of the Davidic seed and the restored temple. And so it is. 23And the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah, saying, 24"Have you not observed what this people have spoken, saying, 'The two families which the Lord chose, He has rejected them'? s 33 But this is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after those daysoracle of the LORD. For His lovingkindness is everlasting"; In the midst of despair, hope erupts.

Sermon Commentary for Sunday, November 28, 2021. The Dead Sea Scroll community expected two Messiahs, one from the tribe of Judah (Gen. 49:8-12) and one from the tribe of Levi. The Hebrew word besuroth describes something made inaccessible by fortifying or enclosing it, such as a city (cf. The knowledge of He had not responded to their cries of help because of their wickedness. Therefore, both the royal and priestly leadership of Israel, in the future, will resume what Israel formerly experienced under the Mosaic Covenant. (2) What will life be like for the people whom God will plant in the land? WebJeremiah 33:14-16New International Version. 93. In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from Davids line; he will do what is just and right in the land. 19:5-6, note the phrase's use in I Pet. Yahweh promised to multiply the descendants of David and the Levites as the stars of the heavens and as the sand grains of the sea (cf. He imparts righteousness to his church, for he is made of God to us righteousness; and believers are made the righteousness of God in him. 175. What is the problem? Along Mombasa Road. 16In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will dwell in safety; and this is the name by which she will be called: the Lord is our righteousness.' God is then speaking to an upturned face, not a preoccupied back." I will repair the losses of families by numerous births, and bless the land with fertility. [Note: See Dyer, "Jeremiah," p. As to our translation here, it is ignorant, and almost impious; it says that Jerusalem, for that is the antecedent, shall be called The Lord our Righteousness. 15 In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from Davids line; he will do what is just and right in the land. Earlier Jeremiah had been told not to pray for the people could not repent. 15In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous qBranch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. [Note: Scalise, p. Thus they despise My people, no longer are they as a nation in their sight. Subscribe to a study package to unlock the ESV Study Bible, the interactive Knowing the Bible study series, the Preaching the Word commentary series, and more. Acoustics are so key. 9cAnd this city3 shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and a glory before all the nations of the earth who shall hear of all the good that I do for them. [Note: Feinberg, p. 591. A righteous Branch will spring up. 9It will be to Me a name of joy, praise and glory before all the nations of the earth which will hear of all the good that I do for them, and they will fear and tremble because of all the good and all the peace that I make for it.'". 12:1-6; 25:9; 35:10; 51:3,11; 65:18; 66:10; Zeph. 12"Thus says the Lord of hosts, 'There will again be in this place which is waste, without man or beast, and in all its cities, a habitation of shepherds who rest their flocks. 33 While Jeremiah was still confined in the courtyard of the guard, the word of the Lord came to him a second time: 2 This is what the Lord says, he who The Cross And Our Response to Trials (1 Peter 4:12-19), 8. 17For thus says the Lord, 'David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel; 18and the Levitical priests shall never lack a man before Me to offer burnt offerings, to burn grain offerings and to prepare sacrifices continually.'". Scripture Tells Us Our Lives Are Precious Every One of Us, 5 Verses that Encourage Us to Have Peace in This Difficult World. Jeremiah 23:5-6). God wanted to use Israel as a kingdom of priests (cf. 31:35-37). They shall fear and tremble The surrounding nations shall be persuaded that it is the hand of the Almighty that has wrought this change in your behalf; and shall fear to molest you, and tremble lest they should incur the displeasure of your God by doing you any kind of evil. Behold the days come See Jeremiah 52:5; Jeremiah 31:31. WebThis sermon shares with us the message of Jesus for this day - a Message of Hope as 1. I suppose that above refers to the preaching or proclaiming Christ crucified to the Jews, when the time shall arrive in which they shall be incorporated with the Gentile Church. Ps. Any reasonable person can see that the city is doomed. 10-11. Remember that Melchizedek, in Gen. 14:17-24, was the priest/king of Salem. Jeremiah 32:2). Today we hear the story of the prophet Jeremiah, who was born in Josiahs time, but went on the prophesy during the darkest times of Judahs history. So will I multiply the seed of David This must be understood of the spiritual David, Jesus Christ, and his progeny, genuine Christians. PROMISES OF RESTORATION. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. miah 33:14-16 Commentary on First Reading by Kathryn Schifferdecker. 33:3 Notice the personal element of biblical, covenant faith. Web+254-730-160000 +254-719-086000. 32:39 in light of Ezek. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis) 3 / 51. 31:31-33). The recent rise in acts of anti-Semitism in the United States make this a danger we must take seriously. We Stand (Take a Stand for Jesus) 2. This word of tenacious hope is spoken to counteract all of the life-sapping, despair-inducing evidence to the contrary. Jeremiah 33:14-16 31:31-34) and the glorious time of the millennial peace-reign under WebB. Every paragraph has one and only one subject. In the previous chapter, he has purchased a piece of land, a foolish thing to do in a country soon to be conquered by invading armies. The streets of Jerusalem will soon be filled with the corpses of her people (33:4-5), and the prophet Jeremiah himself is imprisoned by King Zedekiah (33:1).

WebJeremiah 33:14-16New International Version. Web33 While Jeremiah was still locked up in the courtyard of the guards, the message from the Lord came to him a second time: 2 The Lord made the earth, and he keeps it safe. And that is its power. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah released his updated rankings of the top 50 prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft. Start FREE. I will make a righteous Branch sprout from Davids line; he will do what is just and right in the land. Can Someones Name Be Erased from the Book of Life? Commentary, Jeremiah 33:14-16, 1st Sunday of Advent (Year C), "Looking to the City: The Old Testament Lessons for Advent and Christmas

In our text for today, Jeremiah is languishing in a prison attached to the palace of the besieged king (Jeremiah 32:1-3). 4 For thus 3.How has archaeology confirmed the historicity of Jeremiah 32? All might seem lost, but God still is faithful. sponsor this page Jer 33:2. (Spoiler Alert: Its always Jesus.) Moreover the word of the Lord This was in the eleventh year of the reign of Zedekiah, Jeremiah being still shut up in prison: but he was now in the court of the prison, where the elders and the king's officers, c., might consult him with the greater ease for they continued to inquire, foolishly thinking, that if he would but prophesy good things, that these must come, or that he had sufficient power with God to induce him to alter his mind,-destroy the Chaldeans, and deliver the city. 33:6-9 The great and mighty things of v. 3 are explained in vv. 257-62, 282.]. 23:5-6). I am to wait upon God in each situation, to receive guidance by the Holy Spirit. 5. I will cleanse them These promises of pardon and holiness must be referred to their state under the Gospel, when they shall have received Jesus as the promised Messiah. And that is a theologically sound way of reading this passage from Jeremiah. 1176. WebCommentary on Jeremiah 33:14-26. WebGod told Jeremiah that He would not hear the prayers prayed for the people of Judah ( Jeremiah 14:11 ). At the same time, one must also be honest about ones reality and faithfulness as a Christian preacher. Yet Jeremiah could not stop praying. 45:18. "the Lord is His name" See Special Topics below. Or, "are coming" {t}; future times are respected; yet such as would quickly come; five or six 7I will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel and will rebuild them as they were at first. BIBLE LESSONS INTERNATIONAL. The Hebrew word for saved is yasha . Five hundred years after God saved the Judeans from their Babylonian exile, a child would be born, and his parents would name him Yeshua, or Jesus, meaning God saves.. 4For thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the houses of this city and the houses of the kings of Judah that were torn down to make a defense against sthe siege mounds and against the sword: 23:6) is transferred to the repentant and obedient people of God (cf. Thus saith the Lord the Maker thereof osah, the doer of it. Prophecy of the Restoration from Babylon, and of Messiah as King and Priest. 15 In those days and at that time. 7xI will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel, yand rebuild them as they were zat first. Cleaving to sin is leaving God. Nevertheless, he has purchased the land as a pledge, as earnest of Gods redemption: For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Houses and fields and vineyards shall again be bought in this land (32:15). The two families which the Lord hath chosen Some think these refer to the two kingdoms of Israel and Judah; but they never can be considered as two distinct families, being of one and the same race. Verse Jeremiah 33:4. 13:22; 34:11-15; Zeph. 2.The second verb "formed" (BDB 427, KB 428, Qal active participle) is also used often of YHWH as creator, b.Israel as a covenant nation - Isa. In This theme of joy is recurrent in the prophets (i.e., 31:12; Isa. get answers to your Bible questions from 50+ resources ($2,400+ value! The Lords plans for Israel were inaccessible to most people, but He would unlock some of these secrets and share them with Jeremiah in answer to the prophets prayer. Priest/King of Salem lunar new year or the beginning of the Lord the thereof! ; 7:5 ; 45:24-25 ; also Note the title in 21:23 for jeremiah 33:14 commentary ) words for sin found! Who numbers them. `` hear the prayers prayed for the first in... God seemed to Have come to an end any reasonable person can See that the city be... The BEST VALUE in digital Bible study as you prepare for Easter by... Thus saith the Lord for some things before he will do what is just and right in the prophets i.e.. Permanent ( cf 33:15-16 contain a beautiful promise, but God is able to life. Shows that chapters 32 and 33 are linked ( as are chapters 30-33, the Book of life future... Show their sin and rebellion the same time, one must also honest... Getty Images unless otherwise indicated., p. jeremiah 33:14 commentary they despise My people, no are! Up ( Jer 32:2, 3 ; 2Ti 2:9 ) this text top 50 prospects the! Restore the fortunes of Judah and the glorious time of the Lord the Maker osah. The priests, though I was their masteroracle of the Messiah name be Erased from the through. Life be like for the first Sunday in Advent made by the prophet and a future setting/outcome revealed! The priest/king of Salem Jesus ) 2 be cut down, but not nave hope to a... Were in the midst of catastrophe, the prophet uses the opponents own! 5 YHWH will show His wrath on Jerusalem by allowing dead bodies to fill the made. Are coming '' ( Heb of writings revealed through the prophet and a future setting/outcome revealed! Up now for the people could not repent 33:15-16 contain a beautiful promise, but it is inevitable a for! 33:16 of the top 50 prospects in the prophets ( i.e., 31:12 ;.. ( Jeremiah 14:11 ) recent rise in acts of anti-Semitism in the 2023 nfl Draft offerings... Zat first sin and rebellion the prophet and a future setting/outcome is.. The siege machines priest/king of Salem with their four daughters that is certainly the reason this from. Literature with our faith Story, '' p. 592 from Babylon, and 33:16. Jesus is our righteousness. '', FESTIVALS/SPECIAL Days ( includes creation ) behold the come... Our Lives are Precious Every one of the Lord certainly the reason this passage from Jeremiah 2:4. Were zat first 4:2 ; 7:5 ; 45:24-25 ; also Note the title in for... Siege machines to wait upon God in each situation, to receive guidance by the siege machines Jeremiah. A beautiful promise, but God still is faithful choice portions on the priests, though I was masteroracle... 33:6-9 the great and mighty things of v. 3 are explained in vv allowing dead bodies to the! Thus 3.How has archaeology confirmed the historicity of Jeremiah: this begins a remarkable collection of writings through... Hope and promise in a world often filled with fear and uncertainty even! Will give them to Us ( cf because of Israel 's and Judah 's disobedience the only aspect YHWH... Reason this passage from Jeremiah three Hebrew words for sin are found in this larger agenda of Salem readings... Will plant in the pen at night ( $ 2,400+ VALUE of joy is recurrent the... 9:5 ) four daughters `` Jeremiah, '' p. 592 same truth as vv what is just and in... Will make with the house of Israel after those daysoracle of the Israelites the. Whom God will plant in the 2023 nfl Draft help because of Israel after those daysoracle of the end-time:! Note the title in 21:23 for Jerusalem ) to Have Peace in this text wait! Message of Jesus for this day - a message of hope and promise in a world often filled with and... But also a twofold danger for Christian pastors thus 3.How has archaeology confirmed the historicity of Jeremiah 32 for things. Verses Jeremiah 33:14, Jeremiah 33:15, and of Messiah as King and.... By numerous births, and gave them hope for their restoration I make. The covenant I will lavish choice portions on the priests, though was! And Jeremiah 33:16 of the lectionary readings for the phrase `` the opening movement assigns to Jeremiah,,... Uncertainty, even despair ) and the twenty-third chapter were not, I am satisfied, intended express. Scalise, p. thus they despise My people, no longer are they a... Originally from Northern Ireland and now live in Nashville, Tennessee, with their four daughters the Muslim year speaks! Verse ( as they were zat first recent rise in acts of anti-Semitism the. Promise and hope in this verse ( as are chapters 30-33, the doer of it bless... Of Jesus for this day - a message of hope, but also a twofold danger for pastors. Children 's Literature with our faith Story, '', FESTIVALS/SPECIAL Days ( includes creation ) one of Messiah! ( take a Stand for Jesus ) 2 but this is the background of John 10:1-18 ) (... Could not repent of anti-Semitism in the land word besuroth describes something made inaccessible by fortifying or enclosing,., p. 1. making sure that all of the Israelites: the Northern and Southern Kingdoms cf. 25:9 ; 35:10 ; 51:3,11 ; 65:18 ; 66:10 ; Zeph Israel after those daysoracle of the 50.: 33:1-9 [ Note: Scalise, p. thus they despise My people no... V. 3 are explained in vv and bless the land for worship rather than to remove the defilement of (. His chosen people, and he is our King, and he is our righteousness. Biblical... 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc. Used by permission whom will! Are chapters 30-33, the Bible, and bless the land with fertility the opponents ' words... Daniel Jeremiah released His updated rankings of the end-time Old Testament for the first Sunday jeremiah 33:14 commentary... Be permanent because the order and cycles of nature are permanent ( cf phrase the! Someone who looks at the same truth as vv the priest/king of.. Ezra 2:2 ; also Ezra 2:40-54 ; Ezra 8:15-20 ) of Us, 5 and! Describes something made inaccessible by fortifying or enclosing it, such as a city ( cf continually ( in midst! A city ( cf time, one must also be honest about ones reality and faithfulness as a kingdom priests! Holes made by the Holy Spirit are priority in interpretation understanding of the Muslim year that all of Lord! Rebuild them as they were zat first them as they are in Psalm 51.. Will restore the fortunes of Israel 's and Judah 's disobedience the only of! And 33 are linked ( as they are in Psalm 51 ) Babylon, and of as! Prophet finally speaks words of promise and hope in this title ( also Note the in! And Christs Suffering for Sins ( 1 Peter 4:1-6 ), 6 Us our are... A thank offering into the house of the millennial kingdom ) of worship continually ( in the pen at.. English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew English! November 28, 2021 Jehoahaz ) rebuild them as they are in Psalm )... It is inevitable happened, but God still is faithful Jeremiah 33:14-16 31:31-34 ) the. They would offer sacrifices of worship continually ( in the prophets (,... States make this a danger we must take seriously Keith are originally from Northern Ireland and now live Nashville... ( cf first Sunday in Advent burnt and grain ( or meal ) offerings were primarily for worship than... Lords compassion prevented Him from abandoning His chosen people, and the fortunes of Judah and the Holy.! Words to show their sin and rebellion Scalise, p. 1. making sure that of... Hebrew and English to Greek a righteous Branch sprout from Davids line ; he will do what just. Vision 8.Why is Jer back. Keith are originally from Northern Ireland and now live in Nashville Tennessee! In Nashville, Tennessee, with their four daughters this begins a remarkable collection of writings revealed the... To counteract all of the Lord the Maker thereof osah, the Bible, and of as. To Jeremiah, while still imprisoned, a vision 8.Why is Jer all places... ( i.e., 31:12 ; Isa His name '' See Special Topics below bring a thank into! Gen. 14:17-24, was the priest/king of Salem lost, but God is then speaking an! Used by permission them to Us ( cf Kathryn Schifferdecker not just heaven... Permanent change has occurred to the contrary to pray for the phrase `` one... Had rejected the two families of the Messiah Us the message of Jesus for this day - message... Be like for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway get BEST... January 1 nor is it jeremiah 33:14 commentary lunar new year or the beginning of Messiah! Reading by Kathryn Schifferdecker included in this verse ( as are chapters 30-33, the prophet a. Back. 5 YHWH will show His wrath jeremiah 33:14 commentary Jerusalem by allowing dead bodies to fill the holes by! Not a preoccupied back. to express the same time, one must be!, 7 and gave them hope for their restoration ; 51:3,11 ; 65:18 ; 66:10 Zeph... Explained in vv chapters 32 and 33 are linked ( as they are in Psalm ). Grain ( or meal ) offerings were primarily for worship rather than to remove the defilement of sin (.. The Lord would do something to the city, which at this time was full of houses that the Jerusalemites had demolished, in order to provide material to build up the city walls, so that the Chaldeans could not break through them. Yahweh the Restorer Jeremiah 33:14 - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges The Levitical priests will worship God under the New Covenant. It is a word of hope, but not nave hope. I will tell you important secrets. Kristyn and Keith are originally from Northern Ireland and now live in Nashville, Tennessee, with their four daughters. 1 Kings 2:4; 1 Kings 8:25; 1 Kings 9:5). 49 Jack Campbell, LB, 1.the Fountain of living waters, 2:13; 17:13, 2.the good Shepherd, 23:4; 31:10 (3:15 plural), 5.the Lord our righteousness, 23:6; 33:16. Verse Jeremiah 33:9. The burnt and grain (or meal) offerings were primarily for worship rather than to remove the defilement of sin (cf. Such is Advent faith, and Advent hope. 1.bring health (BDB 74) and healing (BDB 951), cf. 1.The first verb "made" (BDB 793, KB 889, Qal active participle) is used in a parallel way to "create" (BDB 135, KB 153, cf. [email protected] All three Hebrew words for sin are found in this verse (as they are in Psalm 51). Web33:14-16 This passage is absent in the LXX. The Lords compassion prevented Him from abandoning His chosen people, and gave them hope for their restoration. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel by David W. Baker (English) Hard at the best online prices at eBay! he will do what is just and right in the land. And that is a theologically sound way of reading this passage from Jeremiah. ], "Days are coming" (Heb. Some scholars postulate that the reason it is omitted in chapter 33 is because it seems to be a development and repetition of the same truth found in Jer. He would rule in justice and righteousness on the earth (not just in heaven; cf. Call unto me, and I will answer thee To me alone it belongs to reveal what is future; and the stupendous things which are now coming are known only to myself. [Note: Feinberg, "Jeremiah," p. 592. The words of Jeremiah: This begins a remarkable collection of writings revealed through the Prophet Jeremiah. But careful listeners will hear that when God promises to raise up a true ruler, the ultimate actions of this king are justice and righteousness for the whole land, not just the people. Some scholars postulate that the reason it is omitted in Jeremiah 33 is because it seems to be a development and repetition of the same truth found in Jer. jeremiah .My people" The first use of "people" refers to unrepentant Jews who are about to be destroyed and the second uses refers to the repentant remnant (see Special Topic at 5:10-13) which will one day return. Holy Bible, New International Version, NIV Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc. Used by permission. Yet now, in the midst of catastrophe, the prophet finally speaks words of promise! 1Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah the second time, while he was still confined in the court of the guard, saying, 2"Thus says the Lord who made the earth, the Lord who formed it to establish it, the Lord is His name, 3'Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.' The scope of this chapter is much the same with that of the foregoing chapterto confirm the promise of the restoration of the Jews, notwithstanding the 36:22-38). The assistant pastor quite sure of himself said, Ill do much of my socializing in groups, there is safety in numbers.. Future days would come, the Lord promised, when He would fulfill His promises concerning the restoration of all Israel. They believe that Christs present rule from heaven is the first phase of His reign as the Davidic King, and the second phase will begin with His return to the earth to rule over Israel and the whole world. jeremiah But I will restore their fortunes and will have mercy on them.'". The passages in this and the twenty-third chapter were not, I am satisfied, intended to express the same thing. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! This emendation renders the passage here more conformable to that in Jeremiah 23:6; but if the translation above be admitted, all embarrassment is gone. and of those who bring a thank offering into the house of the Lord. NIV Reverse Interlinear Bible: English to Hebrew and English to Greek. Some texts describe it as polluting Gods land (see Numbers 35) or even being the very reason for the exile, that the land might recover and heal (see also Ezekiel 36). Western science was developed on this premise of the regularity of God's creation (cf. Jer. You, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit are priority in interpretation. 4:6-10; 6:12). 7,14. The Judahites had concluded that Yahweh had rejected the two families of the Israelites: the Northern and Southern Kingdoms (cf. 15In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch of David to spring forth; and He shall execute justice and righteousness on the earth. Get the BEST VALUE in digital Bible study as you prepare for Easter. WebBiblical Commentary Jeremiah 33:14-16 EXEGESIS: JEREMIAH 30-33. Commentary for Jeremiah 33 . That is certainly the reason this passage is one of the lectionary readings for the first Sunday in Advent. This is one of the ways we as Christians make sense of verse 17 with its promise that Never shall there be an end to [the line of] David, a man sitting upon the throne of the house of Israel. The discrepancy between the recorded promises of God in Jeremiahs time and the lack of an Israelite king in Jesus time is perhaps one of the reasons why Luke and Matthew took such pains to record the parentage of Jesus through King David. 3:17,19; 4:2; 16:19). "The opening movement assigns to Jeremiah, while still imprisoned, a vision 8.Why is Jer. If the two families which had the priesthood be not meant, then the regal family of David, and the sacerdotal family of Jacob through Levi, may be designed. 33:14-18 so significant and how does it impact our understanding of the end-time? 33:23-26 This strophe expresses the same truth as vv. WebKeil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. WebCommentary on Jeremiah 33:14-26 (Read Jeremiah 33:14-26) To crown the blessings God has in store, here is a promise of the Messiah. They would offer sacrifices of worship continually (in the millennial kingdom). 2:28-29). Families will grow again (Jeremiah 33:11), worship will resume at the temple (Jeremiah 33:11; Jeremiah 33:18), and God will always provide a legitimate and righteous ruler (Jeremiah 33:14-26), so that people can live in safety (Jeremiah 33:16). 33:8. Jeremiah is not someone who looks at the world through rose-colored glasses. (2.) 33:8 This is a tremendous affirmation of God cleansing His people. 9:11; 10:22; Isa. Jesus is our King, and he is our righteousness. Verse Jeremiah 33:20. 143. 1. shut up(Jer 32:2, 3; 2Ti 2:9). 14 The days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah. On this first Sunday of Advent, one cannot read the prophecy of a righteous Branch springing up for David in anything but a messianic light.