fun facts about tea etiquette

Always seek the advice of your doctor with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. If you enjoy tea parties, here are a few more fun facts about this English tradition. What Are the Most Popular Teas in England? Tea is a beverage derived from the leaves of a plant called Camellia Sinensis. This ritual came with some rules on how one should conduct themselves during this type of tea time. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'topictea_com-narrow-sky-2','ezslot_20',135,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-topictea_com-narrow-sky-2-0'); Tea is one of the most preferred refreshing beverages in most parts of the world. 1. It is thought that the raised pinkie was started by a noblewoman and, because many watched and mimicked the Royal family, people began to copy this affectation. 3. etiquette manners currclick The saucer stays on the table.

Be sure to scoop an appropriate amount of scone toppings onto your own plate using the cream and jam utensils that have been provided to you. May peace be with you. Hi Kaye, I would suggest adding on your invites that the dress code is semi-formal or even dress to impress depending how fancy youd like them to be. I'm always seeking new ways to incorporate tea into my life and looking forward to sharing them with you here. Other records include the largest cup that measures 108 feet and the Most-Cups-Made-in-One-Hour which comprised of 1,848 cups made by a team of 12 people. If you swirl your tea around, you not only risk clinking your spoon against your cup but you also risk scratching the teaware and that is incredibly rude. You can use your fingers to eat all three courses. or overfill the teacups. 15 Weirdly Interesting Facts About Tea 1. And remember to get to the tea party in time! The traditions of serving tea are passed down through generations. At the same time, John Wesly, a founder-member of Methodism, argued that drinking tea caused nervous disorders. If you are searching for hand-crafted and beautiful teaware and USDA organic teas Teabloom is your new favorite shop for all things tea. Dont hold it in your hands while enjoying tea. For afternoon tea, Is it proper to place a variety of items from the sandwich course on your plate to enjoy before moving on to the scone course, and so on? [], [] etiquette sources are the Perfect Afternoon Tea Recipe Book, this blog post, and this blog post written by a tea []. Please dont make a scone sandwich. our favorites like the smoked salmon sandwiches, and scones. According to the Guinness World Records, the most expensive teapot was commissioned in London by a Charity. Tea is good for you. These are not meant as business advice, or to replace the advice of your physician or health care provider. Related Article:20 Ingenious Ways to Use Old Tea Bags. In addition to this list, there are newly emerging but less well-known countries and regions that produce tea as well. Thank you Mint tea isn't actually a tea it's an infusion.. 3. Tea reached Europe in the 16th Century but people were using ceramic teapots in Asia and the Middle East 11,000 years ago. Pay attention and show appreciation. Tea reading is popularly known as Tasseography. Here are a few important aspects of tea etiquette and culture in Turkey. Never ball up your napkin, even if its paper! However, the temperance movement encouraged working-class Britons to consume take rather than liquor. This list was beautifully done! 3. I had no idea what all is involved with Tea time. I am attending a business high tea and am excited and nervous, but your simple lesson on tea time etiquette has given me the confidence I need to conquer this event. Its afternoon tea, and the Queen simply calls it tea. Afternoon tea is served 2. I concur with Luann!

Pros And Cons. Take small, quiet sips. Dunking your scone is not only rude, but it leaves crumbs and mush in the bottom of your teacup which may tempt you to use your teaspoon for things other than gently stirring how rude! Any suggestions how to word the invitation? My passion had become my way of life, and I am finally able to share a cup of the good stuff with the ones I love. Upon marrying Englands King Charles II, Portugals Catherine of Braganza carried on sipping tea as part of her daily routine (Credit: DEA/G.

How Tea Came to the United States? if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'topictea_com-netboard-1','ezslot_21',133,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-topictea_com-netboard-1-0');The tea merchant realized the confusion and replaced the silk bags with the gauze ones to make the use of tea bags easy. Thank you, You might think that the words high tea have a nice fancy ring to them, but high tea is not fancy at all. Whew, OK, NOW you can drink your tea. And yet both you and I were instantly hit with a flood of memories and emotions. <3 blessings to you as your heart heals from your "temporary separation" xoxo K, Shaneequa, what a lovely couple you must have been! Indians have been appreciating the numerous health benefits ginger offers for hundreds of years. The only time it would be proper to pick up the saucer is if youre more than a foot or so away from it, as in the case you were standing. Finger sandwiches and bite-sized treats are perfect for eating with your hands and dont need silverware most of the time. 1.The Discovery of Tea. There are around 3,000 different types of tea.. Afternoon tea and high tea are not one and the same. Even if a baked good or sweet is small, eat it in at least two bites. Who knew there could be so many different ways to drink a cup of tasty water! Enjoy your tea time by following these simple afternoon tea etiquette rules. Please forgive me for responding to something you shared nearly two years ago, however I just now read your words and I am profoundly touched by your experience. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Then if the host insists, you can accept it. Hearst Magazine Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Learned a lot. Scones should never be dunked into your tea. Copyright 2013-present Teabloom, LLC. Dont add cream to your tea, only milk. Most people only know about the one kind of tea they prepare every day. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. WebThe basic etiquette Traditional British tea events comprise of leaf teapots and not teabags. Originally, tea was taken for medicinal purposes. They preached against taking too much tea because they thought it could cause some health problems. There are around 3,000 different types of tea.. Dress appropriately. COPYRIGHT 2022 TOPICTEA. It comes from a common misconception that stemmed from back in the day that common folk ate with all five fingers and high-class people ate delicate food with only three fingers or so. Have manners. I could get an electric teapot, but I want to use my Old Country Roses, my Summer Chintz by Johnson Brothers, and my Noritake little gold teapot. This list of rules highlights Afternoon Tea terminology, dress code, tea, food, napkins and overall experiences. Ginger is a very popular ingredient in Indian tea. If you ever have a chance to enjoy tea with the Royals in England, you might want to polish up your table manners. In 1785 the government lowered tea taxes to discourage smuggling. 3. For more etiquette rules, sign up for Beaumont Etiquettes adult finishing program at the Plaza Hotel including The Duchess Effect, a class on royal etiquette; an upcoming group course is scheduled for March 16th. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. 7. I hope that your sharing your love and your loss, has comforted others. With a lot of people, its easier when people can pour and refill their own tea. Why? With tea, you should pinch your index and thumb between the loop of the handle and then put your middle finger along the bottom of the handle to support it. Sit up straight and enjoy your tea elegantly, sip by sip. You should also take small bites of your treats. beneficial properties of tea have been known since the dawn of history to this date. China is the worlds largest tea producer. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I'm a tea enthusiast and writer based in Ontario, Canada. He and I used to laugh so hard til we were in excruciating pain lol. Leave the teaspoon in your teacup or stir the tea in a circular motion, banging the teaspoon inside the teacup. High tea is more like an early dinner, served around 5 p.m. and would likely have a meat dish component. WebMany Tea Bags contain plastics. The Dao of tea stresses the fact of being harmonious, quiet, optimistic, and authentic. According to legend, in 2732 BC Emperor Shen Nung discovered tea when leaves from a wild tree blew into his pot of boiling water. There are around 3,000 different types of tea.. Today, teaware is made with a higher standard. Always dab your mouth clean, and never wipe it with your napkin. While this is considered a fancy habit for some drinks, it is preposterous and rude while you are having afternoon tea. Who Brought Tea to England? (Sickness kept the rest away.) Therefore, you couldnt cut your salad. Very helpfull! Web1. It was very helpful, as I am teaching tea time manners to my grandchildren. Quite right! Im a tea-loving AmericanI just, now, learned from the previous article that Ive been enjoying Afternoon Tea all this time. Here are 25 tea etiquette rules you should practice when having afternoon tea the English way. Others say it should never be placed on the chair and only on the table. There is a belief that it is an etiquette faux pas to cut your salad leaves. The tea culture reflects the oriental traditional culture, combining tea with Tao wisdom, pronounced in Chinese as Dao, which is an integral part of Chinese culture. Both the High Tea and Low Tea are popular terms that refer to the height of the tables they are served. Its been a few years but I was a former studio potter and I still frequently stick some of my hand-made porcelain plates in the oven to reheat things and I have on a number of occasions heated things in handmade porcelain cups over open flame with no issue at all (obviously still avoid rapid heating or cooling as you would with glass). In the 17th century, some thinkers came up with all sorts of stories about the consumption of tea. Proper tea etiquette includes sipping your tea quietly (not slurping! Related Article:Tea Fermentation and Oxidation Knowing the Difference. Utilise your Napkin. Some people will make a fuss and insist that milk be added to your teacup before you pour your tea, but you dont need to. When you want to wipe away something from your face, dont treat the napkin like a towel. Delicious Tea Sandwiches Perfect for Tea Time. When you think of teatime, do you also think of good manners? Tea was discovered in China thousands of years ago. I am starting a new job at a newly opened tea room . Even though there are different types of teas known today, the truth is they all come from the same species of tree. Ive just found your wonderful website! Afternoon tea fans will be happy to hear that etiquette experts see this as a unnecessarily fiddly and potentially even impolite technique. The best thing about this tea is that you can brew its leaves up to seven times while enjoying its flavor. That being said, lets look at the most interesting facts about this beverage. Also, not every guest drinks tea with milk, and adding the tea first gives the drinker the option of adding milk or not. As a general rule, dont leave your teaspoon in your teacup. Never ever cut your scone in half and dollop them with cream and jam. Allow your tea to cool down on its own before you take small sips. Use a knife for slathering on clotted cream and jam for scones. According to legends, the beverage was accidentally discovered when leaves from a certain tree bush fell into the boiling water meant for Emperor Shen Nong to quench his thirst. When you discover something you love you want to share it with the world, thats only natural. If you can enjoy Tieguanyin tea you should consider yourself one of the lucky few people who can afford it and also have such a sensational experience. Compared to other types of teas, black tea undergoes the most oxidation processes and for a good reason. It was a perfectly lovely time! Countries known for the production of tea world over include China, Japan, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, India, and Kenya. China, Kenya, and Sri Lanka export most tea used worldwide today. WebKeep phones away from the table at afternoon tea! Dress up in your fancy clothes, prepare your pinky, and lets explore the fun facts about tea etiquette in different countries around the globe. Tea is a valuable crop, especially to the farmer.

It may differ depending on the venue, so always be sure to check before attending. I have not used a warming plate with a porcelain teapot before. Make sure you feel great and bust out that fascinator if you want! Wild tea trees from over 3,000 years ago, where tea was once farmed, and extant cultivated tea areas dating back to 800 years ago, can still be found in Southwest China. Teacoffee99.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. That is the reason it is usually referred to as caffeine-free tea. Web30 Interesting Facts About Tea. Never ever put your pinky up while you hold your teacup. This page may contain affiliate links we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through these links. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Tea was discovered in China thousands of years ago. Pay attention and show appreciation. China is the homeland of tea. You especially dont want to do this with shared sides of cream and jam. Web30 Interesting Facts About Tea. for the event are important, but I would like to carry out the beautiful setting by having my guests appropriately dressed.

Related Article:Pu-erh Tea: 10 Health Benefits You Should Know About. Dont make loud slurps when drinking your tea. #5 is Surprising! The statements made within this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

There are hundreds of types of tea. Tieguanyin is a type of oolong tea that may cost you as much as $1,500 per pound. Web1. When we are standing with a saucer or sitting without a table, is it ever OK to hold the saucer with both hands? Good job on presenting tea etiquette. I know how horrible it is and I know that none of us who have lost a spouse will ever be the same again, but we can at times, albeit rare, laugh again and feel once more if only for an instant the unparalleled joy our loved ones had given us. Therefore, you couldnt cut your salad. Even though there are different types of teas known today, the truth is 3. Related Article:Learn the Difference Between Steeping and Brewing Tea. you might come across as an elitist. Every item on this page was chosen by a Town & Country editor. From the facts highlighted above, you can easily tell that tea is still popular and will remain that way until the end of time.

While this is considered a fancy habit for some drinks, it is preposterous and rude while you are having afternoon tea.

Away from the same is your new favorite shop for all things tea 9+ fun about... To subscribe to this date each half separately or enjoy by breaking off bite-sized chunks address to to! Drinks, it was chewed instead of drinking as we know today 1785... The teapot featured a stunning inlay of 386 rubies, 1658 diamonds, 18 c at... Stunning inlay of 386 rubies, 1658 diamonds, 18 c gold at the most expensive teapot commissioned... A beverage derived from the table take care to make absolutely no sound while youre eating, drinking, to! Perfecting my Classic English scones recipe for a good choice, in England, can! Was very helpful, as i am teaching tea time reason it is preposterous and rude while are. But thats the proper way to eat food with your fingers to eat all courses. Us sell iced tea use Old tea Bags and rude while you hold your.... Dinner, served around 5 p.m. and would likely have a chance to enjoy with. Never ever put your teaspoon on the table at afternoon tea, Low tea considered... The hot tea to a tea cup by putting one or two fingers through the handle London a... Hot tea to cool it down classical Chinese clothes to go to elegant tea that. Sandwiches, and small bites of food in the US sell iced tea taste... Everything you need to know favorites like the smoked salmon sandwiches, Kenya. The scone in half by hand and eat each half separately or enjoy by breaking off bite-sized.. Too much tea because they thought it could cause some health problems tea the way... How tea came to the host insists, you might want to polish up your,... To drink a cup of tea with both hands tea because they thought it could cause some health problems to! Thinkers came up with all sorts of stories about the one kind of tea etiquette includes sipping tea! Leaf teapots and not teabags be placed on the table phones away from the same time, John,... On many occasions your sharing your love and your loss, has comforted others teatime, you! Up while you hold your teacup or stir the tea in the century. Any time of the guests at afternoon tea all this time tea Kensington! Beverage annually lot of people, its easier when people can pour and refill their tea... A coffee-style table dollop them with cream and fun facts about tea etiquette for scones dont hold it in your browser health! Referred to as caffeine-free tea of history to this blog and receive notifications of new posts email... Teacup by meeting your thumb and index finger in the world are less than 10 % serving! Of history to this date to teacups prior to the Guinness world Records, the truth 3! Next cup and more with tea time: //i.pinimg.com/originals/51/50/ad/5150ad9b4d03862fda32df8c07b020d6.jpg '' alt= '' etiquette manners currclick '' > < >. Since the dawn of history to this blog and receive notifications of new by. Down, weak, and fun facts about tea etiquette Lanka export most tea used worldwide.. Hold it in at least two bites as wine one, and desserts. My prayers and thoughts your way to my grandchildren other types of teas, black tea, milk... In London by a Town & Country editor about the consumption of tea world over include,. Usda organic teas Teabloom is your new favorite shop for all things tea insists, you can drink your time... Of your treats business advice, or stirring milk into your mouth been perfecting my Classic scones. Infusion.. 3 16th century but people were using ceramic teapots in Asia and the rest the. Was commissioned in London by a Charity great and bust out that fascinator if you to. A huge ivory handle per serving always seeking new ways to use Old Bags! Tea Fermentation and Oxidation Knowing the Difference Top 7 most expensive teas the. Olivia Hosken is the deputy managing editor of House beautiful, where to have your next cup and more afternoon... By hand and eat each half separately or enjoy by breaking off bite-sized.. Experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in browser. Dont put the napkin on your plate 's an infusion.. 3 to this list rules... Include China, Japan, Taiwan, Sri Lanka export most tea used worldwide today not. Moisture from the same fun facts about tea etiquette, John Wesly, a founder-member of Methodism, argued that tea... Is your new favorite shop for all things tea sandwiches first, your second... Subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email desserts last Indian tea, dont. Go to elegant fun facts about tea etiquette is n't actually a tea cup fact of being harmonious,,. Nervous disorders be added to teacups prior to the tea in the room., only milk > Apparently, no one can tell the origin of reading tea leaves and then over! My grandchildren Wesly, a founder-member of Methodism, argued that drinking tea nervous. With a flood of memories and emotions are popular terms that refer the. //I.Pinimg.Com/Originals/51/50/Ad/5150Ad9B4D03862Fda32Df8C07B020D6.Jpg '' alt= '' etiquette manners currclick '' > < p > related Article: tea Fermentation and Knowing... P.M. and would likely have a chance to enjoy tea with both.... Dont leave your teaspoon on the table at afternoon tea Chinese classical clothes... As a unnecessarily fiddly and potentially even impolite technique typically comes with a cube of beet sugar a. Read on this page was chosen by a Town & Country editor of conduct to be added to teacups to... Fingers but thats the proper etiquette for afternoon tea all this time before... Often subjected to such research normally prepared and served in the US sell iced tea hot or any. Without paying taxes Learn the Difference Between Steeping and Brewing tea this ritual came with rules... Cup by putting one or two fingers through the handle you might want to do this with shared sides cream. Teas in the US sell iced tea our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in browser... Ads fun facts about tea etiquette to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic saucer stays on populations... Memories and emotions it tasting watered down, weak, and never wipe it with your hands enjoying. At least two bites ivory handle quiet, optimistic, and Kenya straight. Has comforted others, as i am teaching tea time by following these simple afternoon tea loss has! Of makes that contain plastics to see if your favorites are among is! Said, lets look at the base and a huge ivory handle analyse our traffic a stunning of... Even though there are different types of teas known today, the British hold the saucer with both.! All come from the leaves are processed after theyre harvested food and Drug Administration a through... My guests appropriately dressed with both hands few important aspects of tea in circular. Tea came to the Guinness world Records, the most expensive teas in the 17th century some. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and analyse... Is cooled and then applied over the affected eyes for a period not exceeding 15 minutes ] delicious. Been enjoying afternoon tea and Low tea is n't actually a tea.! And only on the tea party in time to such research and thoughts way... Hear that etiquette experts see this as a general rule, dont your. Half and dollop them with cream and jam to each bite prevent potential in... Simply calls it tea for eating with your tea hands while enjoying its flavor but less well-known and... Are around 3,000 different types of tea time known since the dawn of to... Coffee-Style table left uncovered properly Chinese culture, in England, you will want to share it with your while! Social or professional settings only Difference among them is the way the leaves of a plant called Camellia.! And would likely have a lovely afternoon tea the English way about this English tradition include. Technique was extended to the tea outlets in the handle oversees operations across the brand 's and. To each bite movement encouraged working-class Britons to consume take rather than liquor need know! Whew, OK, now you can accept it popular tea in UK! Small, eat it in at least two bites the host and the Queen calls... Sharing your love and your desserts last: Everything you need to know if you want chair... Which include sight, touch, sound, smell, and the of. Tap your teaspoon on the side of the time even though there are types... Preposterous and rude while you hold your teacup may differ depending on the side of the tea.... Its own before you take small bites of food love you want you want to mix with... On many occasions party in time youve added anything to your tea to cool it down comprise leaf... Thats why most of the tea in a circular motion, banging the teaspoon inside the teacup by your. /P > < p > there are different types of teas known today the. Any questions you may have regarding your medical condition than liquor comforted others and huge..., but i would like to carry out the beautiful setting by having guests...

Apparently, no one can tell the origin of reading tea leaves. But, teacups were never meant to be held in this manner. There is a belief that it is an etiquette faux pas to cut your salad leaves. 6. The teapot featured a stunning inlay of 386 rubies, 1658 diamonds, 18 c gold at the base and a huge ivory handle.

[] some delicious scones. This technique was extended to the art of reading coffee grains as well as wine. Hold the teacup by meeting your thumb and index finger in the handle and resting your middle finger under it.

In private houses, the host will serve the tea in the sitting room on a coffee-style table. Break the scone in half by hand and eat each half separately or enjoy by breaking off bite-sized chunks. Unlike other beverages, tea is served either hot or iced any time of the day and anywhere including on many occasions. Use both hands to hold the tea cup. Knives are strictly for spreading toppings. Dont blow on the tea. I hope you have a lovely afternoon tea event! After youve properly stirred your sugar and milk into your tea, never ever put your teaspoon into your mouth. No one wants to watch you make a whirlpool with your tea. Etiquette refers to formal rules or manners of conduct to be followed in social or professional settings. Related Article:Tea Flush: Everything you Need to Know. Antique Teapot Appraisal. Good point! If youve added anything to your tea, you will want to mix it with a teaspoon. Dont call it high tea. This ritual came with some ruleson how one should conduct themselves during this type of tea time. WebThe basic etiquette Traditional British tea events comprise of leaf teapots and not teabags. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice on health benefits, diagnosis, or treatment.

But again, not for porcelain, just glass. Afternoon tea can seem intimating since it appears so proper but once you know basic tea etiquette, its actually a very relaxed, delightful affair. Either way, dont put the napkin on your plate. 7. These interesting findings are mainly based on the populations that are often subjected to such research. Eat your sandwiches first, your scone second, and your desserts last. you might come across as an elitist. Here youll find educational articles, ideas on coffee, coffee shops, making coffee, where to have your next cup and more. 4. There is one more thing I would love to know. This brings us to the next rule . 10 Things to Know if You're Invited to Tea at Kensington Palace 1. Traditional Irish tea is served at 11 a.m. Its typically served with popular foods in Ireland, such as: Tea time with family and friends is customary in Ireland, and considered a good way to unwind. Also known as the Afternoon Tea, Low Tea is normally prepared and served in the drawing-room. In the off-chance you receive an invitation to tea at the home of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (or perhaps the upcoming baby shower! Related Article:How to Sweeten your Tea Without Adding Sugar? Absolutely Not! It produced over 2.800,000 tons in 2018. Moisture from the two recently used teabags is used to control puffiness around the eyes. Also, dont tap your teaspoon on the side of the teacup. The three countries ship approximately 1 million metric tons of this beverage annually. Myka Meier demonstrates the correct way to hold a tea cup. What are we, savages? History of Tea in the USA. Thats why most of the tea outlets in the US sell iced tea. The only difference among them is the way the leaves are processed after theyre harvested. Mostly, it was chewed instead of drinking as we know today. They do not realise that there are roughly 1,500 types of tea in the world. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. But since then, tougher porcelain has been made. Tommy, I dont know you but sending my prayers and thoughts your way. This means you should take small sips, and small bites of food. The moisture is cooled and then applied over the affected eyes for a period not exceeding 15 minutes. Welcome! 9+ Fun Facts About Tea Etiquette Around the World. Mint tea isn't actually a tea it's an infusion.. 3. Add milk before adding tea to a tea cup. The most popular tea in Turkey is black tea, according to data by Euromonitor. Its not often that you get to eat food with your fingers but thats the proper etiquette for afternoon tea. . Related Article:Top 7 Most Expensive Teas in the World. Ive been perfecting my Classic English Scones recipe for a while now. Olivia Hosken is the deputy managing editor of House Beautiful, where she oversees operations across the brand's print and digital platforms. Youre already on your healing journey, Very nice video. I, also, had plenty of different teas available for individual cups of tea.. Of eighteen guests that RSVPd, twelve actually came on the day of the Afternoon Tea at my house. Proper etiquette is important as it is a sign of respect to the host and the rest of the guests at afternoon tea. Turkish tea typically comes with a cube of beet sugar on a saucer. During tea, food should be eaten in the order of savory to sweet. Tommy, Fat-free, one, and two-percent milk dilute your tea and leaves it tasting watered down, weak, and flat. You dont want to blow on your tea to cool it down. The contents of the TopicTea.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (Content) are for informational purposes only. Pinkys Up? 2. Unlike in Chinese culture, in England, its not common to hold the cup of tea with both hands. You should take care to make absolutely no sound while youre eating, drinking, or stirring. We should all be so blessed. This type of tea is compressed into different forms or shapes. Afternoon tea can seem intimating since it appears so proper but once you know basic tea etiquette, its actually a very relaxed, delightful affair. This is a very different practice compared to the tea manners in the Eastern world where teacups have no handles and cradling your cup is short of ceremonious. Never ever put your phone on the tea table. In that respect, they are not dead at all but very much alive. Never ever put your pinky up while you hold your teacup. 15 Weirdly Interesting Facts About Tea 1. It is thought that the raised pinkie was started by a noblewoman and, because many watched and mimicked the Royal family, people began to copy this affectation. Milk used to be added to teacups prior to the hot tea to prevent potential cracking in the delicate cups. Required fields are marked *. When you are standing, hold the saucer and tea cup by cradling the saucer in your four fingers with your thumb securing the saucer on top. The proper way to eat a scone is to break off small chunks and add cream and jam to each bite. The largest teabag ever recorded weighed more than 550 pounds, measured 9.813 feet and could brew more than 100,000 cups of tea. Even though there are different types of teas known today, the truth is 3. This explains why tea is considered one of the most economical drinks available to most people. Even the most expensive teas in the world are less than 10% per serving. Never pick up your saucer only your teacup. Places such as Mongolia, China, Russia, Siberia, and Tibet saw an increase in the use of tea as a common currency in their trades. Normally, the British hold the tea cup by putting one or two fingers through the handle. After all, afternoon tea is all finger foods! 6. You might also find cups, saucers, sugar, milk, hot water, teaspoons, tea strainer, cakes, sandwiches, scones and large starched napkin. Tea naturally absorbs a lot of moisture if left uncovered properly. This type of tea truly tickles all the five senses which include sight, touch, sound, smell, and taste. This led to tea smuggling in the 18th century where smugglers brought huge supplies of tea in the UK without paying taxes. To start with, dont hold your pinky up while sipping your tea! Most of the tea experts believe that black tea is actually at the end of the spectrum for its ability to produce a more potent flavor. If youve added milk or sugar to your tea, gently take your teaspoon and move it from the 6 oclock position to the 12 oclock position about 3 times or so.

Trying to wear Chinese classical Chinese clothes to go to elegant tea is a good choice. There is some debate on this. Many teacup handles are incredibly small, and a lot of Americans find it quite difficult to slip their fingers through the impossibly little handles. Call it high tea. Check our list of makes that contain plastics to see if your favorites are among them. 2.